Sunday, March 05, 2006

No time to draw

I've had no time to draw today. Actually I've been working on a couple of commissions for some friend's over at the Rebel Studios forum. I need to get those finished before I can start working on Chapter 2 of Eternal Day. I have pages 1-5 laid out and page 1 is already inked, but after that we're not sure what's happening with the story.

Sometimes I doubt my artistic abilities. I look at the work of the seasoned pros and I realize my work doesn't even compete. There are flaws in my anatomy, my perspective, my backgrounds, etc. At times it's frustrating, because I want to achieve a certain look or perspective or "feel" to a page and I just don't have the skills to do it. I really need to draw more, but the time just isn't there. Of course I can hear people say, "If you had the passion to draw, you'd make time to do it!" It's true. Why don't I draw all of the time? The only way to get better is to draw, draw, draw and especially to draw from reality and reference material.

In many ways Chapter 1 of Eternal Day was created the way it was because it allowed me more artistic freedom; I didn't have to conform to a script. I could just draw whatever I felt like drawing. This is a huge reason why you don't see any backgrounds in any of the panels. I purposely avoided them, because they're a weakness of mine.

Anyway, I need to get working on these commissions again. One of them is of Joe Vigil's character "Sinbuck" and another is of a couple characters from the movie "Underworld". I'll be sure to post images once they're done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home